You are here
2018 John F. Kennedy Athletics Hall of Fame Induction
Published on September 13, 2018
Join us at Blomington Stadium on Friday, September 14th at 7:00 p.m. for the 2018 John F. Kennedy Athletics Hall of Fame induction. This years inductees are:
Bob Block - 1976
Bob Block - 1976
Todd Buelow - 1978
Dave Garvin - 1973
Chuck McCan - 1976
Art Seplak - Coach 1990-2003
- Participated in Hockey and Soccer at Kennedy.
- Played three years of Hockey from 1974-1976.
- 1976 Lake Conference Hockey Champion.
- 1976 Section Hockey Champion.
- 1976 State Tournament Consolation Champion.
- Received All Lake Conference Award for Hockey.
- Received All State Award for Hockey.
- Lake Conference Hockey Leading Scorer.
- Coached youth athletics for 15 years, including serving as an assistant coach on the 1984 Kennedy Bantam A State Championship team.
- After his playing career, Bob worked in the Food Service Industry as a sales representative for 30 years and is currently self employed.
- Bob states, “The most memorable (goal scored) was a double overtime goal in the State Hockey Tournament. I really enjoy coaching youth sports. It’s very rewarding to give back.”
- Bob currently resides in Chaska, MN.
- Participated in Soccer, Hockey and Golf at Kennedy.
- Received nine athletic letters while at Kennedy.
- Three-time team captain; once for Hockey and twice for Golf.
- 1976 State Hockey Tournament Consolation Champion.
- 1978 Athletic Honor and Medal for Outstanding Male Athlete.
- Received All Lake Conference Award in Hockey in 1978.
- Received All State Honorable Mention Award in Hockey in 1978.
- Bill Masterton Scholarship Award Recipient in 1978.
- Played Hockey at the University of Minnesota from 1978-1979.
- Member of the USA Men’s Bandy League from 1982-1992.
- Played on the 1983 USA Men’s Bandy Team; participating in international tournaments in Sweden and Norway.
- Minnesota Amateur Golfer from 1990-2011 in the MPGA, MGA, and USGA, representing F.A. Gross, Bunk Hills, and the The Links at Northfork.
- MPGA 24 Man Team Champions at Bunker Hills and The Links at Northfork.
- The Links at Northfork Men’s Club Champion in 2000 and 2001.
- The Links at Northfork Men’s Club President.
- MPGA 24 Man Team Captain.
- Swimming Trainer from 2014-Present as a water escort and personal shore support person.
- Participated in Football, Hockey, and Track and Field at Kennedy.
- 1972 Football Captain.
- 1972 Football Team MVP.
- Received All Lake Conference Award for Football in 1972.
- Received All Metro Award for Football in 1972.
- Received All State Honorable Mention Award for Football in 1972.
- Received All-American Honorable Mention for Football in 1972.
- State Track and Field Meet Participant in 1972.
- Received 3rd place in the Sprint Medley at the State Track and Field Meet in 1973.
- Champion in the Mile Relay in the 1973 State Track and Field Meet.
- Played College Football at Normandale Community College, University of St. Thomas, and University of Nevada - Las Vegas.
- Coached Kennedy 9th grade Football team in 1980.
- Coached youth football, track and field, and lacrosse.
- Coached Special Olympics flag football.
- V.P. of Sales and Minority Owner of Advantage Corrugated & Packaging in Hopkins, MN.
- Resides in Lakeville, MN.
- Played three years of Varsity Hockey from 1974-1976 at Kennedy.
- Co-Captain of the 1976 Hockey Team.
- Received All Lake Conference Award in Hockey in 1976.
- Received All State Award in Hockey in 1976.
- Played four years of hockey at Augsburg College, winning the 1978 NAIA National Championship.
- After his playing career, had a successful sales career with Energy Management/HVAC for 35 years.
- Married his high school sweetheart, Julie Olson, who graduated from the Kennedy class of 1978.
- Moved to Texas in 1982 and still reside there.
- Has one daughter, Erin, son-in-law, Jeremy LeBlanc, and Grandson Hayden.
- Remains close friends with many teammates from his Kennedy hockey team and Coach Jerry Peterson.
Coach - 1990-2003
- Varsity Girls Soccer Coach from 1990-2003.
- Coached Sophomore Girls Soccer at Jefferson from 1978-1989.
- Varsity career record at Kennedy was 134-108-22 with 6 years of 12 or more wins.
- Girls Soccer Section Champion in 1990.
- Girls Soccer Section Finalist in 1996 and 1997.
- Girls Soccer Section semi-finalists 7 times.
- Lake South Girls Soccer Conference Champions in 1997.
- Girls Soccer Section Coach of the Year in 1992, 1995, 1997 and 2002.
- Girls Soccer State Class AA Coach of the Year 1997.
- Finalist for National Large School Girls Soccer Coach of the Year in 1997.
- Minnesota State High School Soccer Coaches Association Hall of Fame 2003.
- Minnesota State High School Soccer Coaches Association Section Representative, Treasurer, Executive Board Member, Coaches’ Clinic Registrar, and Warter Senior Award selection chair since 1993.
- English teacher in Bloomington for 45 years and was the first classroom teacher to receive a 45 year service award from Bloomington Public Schools.
- Won the 1986 Overall Excellence Award from the Bloomington Chamber of Commerce.
- Candidate for Minnesota Teacher of the Year 2008.
- Retired from teaching in 2012.
- Along with his wife, has worked High School hockey games as a scoreboard and clock operator and announcer for 25+ years until 2015.
- Continues to works as a scorer and announcer for high school soccer and lacrosse games.
- Art states, “One of the things I’m proudest of is the number of girls who started playing soccer with us in 9th grade and remained in the program throughout their senior year. Additionally, there were so many graduates who went on to participate in soccer in college - not just the few who were Division I players, but also many more at Division II and III level.”