|The first step in applying for financial aid is to complete the U.S. Department of Education Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).|
* The FAFSA collects demographic and financial information from the student and parents to determine an Expected Family Contribution.
* Forms are available at the FAFSA website, or by phone 1-800-433-3243.
* The Expected Family Contribution is a formula set by U.S Congress.
* The FAFSA will determine if students are eligible for Federal Pell Grants, Loans, or other Federal Financial Aid Programs.
Applying for Grants and Scholarships
Federal Scholarships and grants come from a variety of sources. A few sources are:
• Federal and State governments
• Individual colleges and universities
• Community Organizations
• Parents' and students' employers
Other Financial Aid and Scholarship Information
• Ask employers, clubs, associations, or other local groups if they offer scholarships.
• Talk to the financial aid office at the college you plan to attend.
• Talk to your high school counselor and find out if they know of any grants or scholarships.
• Use the Internet to do a scholarship search. Review our list of financial aid resources for ideas about where to begin.
• Beware of scholarship scams.
• Many scholarships are extremely competitive, so start researching early.
Financial Aid and Scholarship Websites
• College and Scholarship Search SitesThere are numerous financial aid resources to help in your search. We encourage you to check with your high school counselor.
• Resources for Minorities
• General Scholarship/Financial Aid Information
• Local Scholarships for Bloomington Students: This link will take you to the Jefferson Website. Many of the scholarships are local and pertain to Kennedy students. Information has been combined to serve both schools. Please scroll through the whole site as you will find many scholarship opportunities. You will find Kennedy only scholarships on our sidebar.
• Scholarship Information--Deadlines sorted by month
• FAFSA Website: www.fafsa.ed.gov